Anime RP R Us
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lore Reboot Again

4 posters

Go down

Lore Reboot Again Empty Lore Reboot Again

Post by Zoprxki Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:52 am

2/25/17 - Edited for some clarity

Yes I'm sure Sarge has a plot planned out and stuff, that's not what this is primarily about.
I think if we want the story to last we should flesh out the world like we did with the last Reboot. We had towns, the world was described enough so that everyone probably had some kind of mental imagery of it in their head.
This will serve to make the world more interesting, something we're at least some what invested in and interesting to explore.

EVERYONE may use this thread to propose any ideas for consideration.
Towns, Cities, Guilds/Clubs and their activities, general locations of significance. The way magic/mana works, the proposal for different forms of energy besides mana that achieve a similar but perhaps greater or more limited effect and/or efficiency.

I don't care how stupid you think your idea is, pitch it if you're serious about it. Let's try not to be assholes about ideas we think are retarded either. If you think an idea is dumb, try to rework it into something that meshes better with the story and ask what the other guy thinks of the reworked version. Work together on this stuff.
================

Alright, let's start with the fundamental and see what we may want to alter from the original source/ Adventure Quest and the other games. Any "facts" I put forward are assumptions/presumptions and Sarge can correct me. I won't speak for all characters, just my own or what I've observed of the characters so far here.

- Generally everyone wears normal, modern clothing. They either don actual combat gear when they know ahead of time they're entering a conflict or they use a mana barrier for protection. Some people may just use neither for various reasons.

Ex. Makon solely uses a barrier cuz he likes to be aesthetic and has some magical affinity.
     Zera has no barrier as she has no mana, and so takes all damage to the face.
     Dumbass robbers near the beginning of the story probably had neither a barrier or armor. Or weak ass barriers.

- Since Razor didn't realize this I'll bring it up: Most people do not keep their equipment on their person. It is drawn from a pocket dimension of sorts, this magic is considered basic and low-level. Zera can't use most magic but since a longsword may be too large to carry around all day she relies on her brother to retrieve it for her.

Don't have a name for Zera's condition but I don't want it to be unique to her. Anyway, here are the details of it. She is affected by less conventional forms of magic like Blood Magic and sacrifice-based Necromancy spells, though to a lesser degree than most people.

*She is immune to mana-based magic and has no mana of her own. OR, if we're going to go the route of mana being one's life force, then...y'know what, let her be considered undead then, idc. If that's the case people with her illness could be called The Undying.

*Magic barriers tend to ignore her if they're simple barriers, and so she can walk through them unhindered, but I suppose her physical body would be stopped and she'd become a ghost. Her body would...probably just be comatose? Ghosts may be considered magical, but it could be said that her soul specifically tied to her body so she can freely enter it despite its anti-magic properties. Other ghosts can't enter it IF ghosts are magical creatures. Which they may or may not be. They could easily be considered just pure energy. In which case her body could be possessed.

*Enchanted items including scrolls will not work if she tries to use them. Artifacts will not respond to her.

*Beings who "see" solely by detecting magic will not be able to see her.

* Those like her can use other forms of energy to achieve similar results to magic (like blood/ki/chakra/or whatever) to weak effect, but she puts more stock into her martial prowess than anything resembling magic or spells.

*If she is inflicted with Lycanthropy, Vampirism, Dracopyrism(if this is still a thing), her body will reject part of the transformation/side-effects of her sub-race. UNLESS her assailant is pure-blooded and possesses great power. Then her body would fully succumb to the infection. She would not be able to infect others, however. Let's explore what happens if someone impure infects her.
                  - Impure Vampirism: Her eyes turn partially red or one eye turns red. Still gets the fangs. Sunlight irritates her. Some natural affinity for blood magic.
                  - Impure Lycanthropy: Increased strength and aggression to varying degrees based on the phase of the moon. She is weaker if a New Moon is out. Full moon gives her bloodlust.
                  - Impure Dracopyrism: Skin becomes scale-like and smooth, similar to Auri, imperceptible to the naked eye. Not as tough as Auri's, but offers some protection. Gets the benefits of the prior afflictions to a lesser degree, except gains no affinity for blood magic. Strength and aggression still governed by moon phases.

People like Zera will always be able to cure such illnesses as they don't progress too far. The difficulty of curing them varies, but Dracopyrism would be the most difficult to cure as it progresses far enough to cause large-scale modifications to their skin, usually. The negative side effects are so negligible they usually keep their affliction though. For the benefits it grants them. Unless their transformation deforms them, which is common in their kind.

Alright, onto power sources. These are mostly proposals.

*Blood magic, which just uses blood as the mana source.
      *Ki which would be where a martial artist channels strength from their life force or soul to grant increased physical prowess. Creative/Masterful use of it may achieve something similar to rudimentary magic. Like creating an extremely powerful gust of wind that may be harmful to others.
      *Necromancers would often use mana, but could expend corpses and achieve the same effect since they control the dead. They could spend corpses to cast spells.

Not to be confused with the different types of mana which are bound to the Elemental Lords. I suggest that most people have neutral mana, but under certain circumstances a person may possess elemental mana that gives them some kind of edge in that element, whether that be resilience to it or empower their magic with that element, while also making them weaker to the opposite element.

*Examples: Someone gifted with Water, Nature, or Light Mana is naturally adept at healing, though the degree varies. Light would be the weakest, Water would be moderate, and Nature would have the strongest healing property. Light Mana individuals would also naturally be the bane of the undead and necromancers. People with Dark Mana would obviously make for the best Necromancers, and be weak to Light and Fire.

People could have mana from multiple sources of the spectrum. They would have the strengths granted by the different mana types and the weaknesses could cancel each other out or be lessened because they don't have "pure" mana. The strengths would be lessened as well. The true strength of people with multiple mana types would be what happens when they tap into them at the same time. Someone with Red and Black mana would be great at summoning demons, for instance. Someone who embodies Light and Fire effectively would be an extremely potent slayer of the undead.

I don't really have any suggestions for towns or cities yet. Maybe I'll have landmark locations made up later, who knows.

Last edited by Proxzki on Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Zoprxki
Zoprxki
Host
Host

Back to top Go down

Lore Reboot Again Empty Re: Lore Reboot Again

Post by Razorshell Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:22 am

What about nature magic like my characters use?
Razorshell
Razorshell
Host
Host

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoprxki Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:09 am

Describe how it functions.
Zoprxki
Zoprxki
Host
Host

Back to top Go down

Post by Razorshell Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:06 am

Well the way it feels to me is that the environment has its own mana you know living things like plants and animals even the earth itself has it. And rangers use their mana to tap and work with the environment to get things done.
Razorshell
Razorshell
Host
Host

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoprxki Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:13 am

Oh, well I kinda touched on that in my bit about the elemental lords.

Nature/Earth Mana, whatever the element is in AQ...I think they have that?

I even said Water and Undead have their own mana. The environment would have Nature/Earth mana, and people attuned to it would value the natural order. People with Earth mana would naturally gravitate to the Ranger profession, and the best Hunters/Rangers/Druids would most likely possess Earth mana.
Zoprxki
Zoprxki
Host
Host

Back to top Go down

Post by Razorshell Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:22 pm

Got it. Also we should include more than just human in the race options
Razorshell
Razorshell
Host
Host

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoprxki Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:24 pm

Well Makon's obviously not human cuz his bio has a question mark next to his race.

But yeah, the story SHOULD have the typical Lore races since that's the setting. And whatever bs we make up.
Zoprxki
Zoprxki
Host
Host

Back to top Go down

Post by Razorshell Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:36 pm

Well as you know Izzy is an elf orc hybrid. But we should also have dark elves you know things like that
Razorshell
Razorshell
Host
Host

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoprxki Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:05 pm

Well we should only have them if someone's willing to flesh them out and use them as part of the plot at some point or it's just wasted time and effort.
Zoprxki
Zoprxki
Host
Host

Back to top Go down

Post by Razorshell Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:29 pm

True enough we'll see how it goes
Razorshell
Razorshell
Host
Host

Back to top Go down

Post by Zephyr Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:07 am

I see you touched on the summoning of demons, I'd like to expand on that since I'm spearheading the plot of this arc, which inherently is demon-related. 

I suggest that if a summoner is adept enough to summon a demon, they summon a demon. I say there shouldn't be imps or thralls or something like that, just full-blown demons. Like, if one is summoned, it's a real fucking problem. They'd be resistant to most forms of Lore-based magic, and weak to light and water. I like the idea of them not only having fire magic, but also a special kind of magic special to their demonic realm called Chaos magic. 

These are just preliminary thoughts of course, I'd like to expound more on this demonology, and even maybe develop a unique culture for them when I'm in a more fresh, sober state, which probably won't be until sunday afternoon/evening(I mean my work availability, I won't be drunk in that time christ)
Zephyr
Zephyr
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoprxki Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:35 am

Well in some media thralls are just humans enslaved/mind-controlled by demons anyway. There could be several ways for demons to do that. But if we're talking about thralls in the sense of actual demons, then I think thralls should exist as pseudo-demons from botched summonings involving sacrifice. It'd be common for novice summoners to think they summoned an actual demon, but in reality they just merged the souls of the dead together into something that looks like a demon based on their intent. They'd be powerful, but no where near as potent as a real demon.

On the topic of imps, I think they could still be quite a problem for the average person who didn't opt for combat training. They would just be physically weaker and rely on casting magic or using small arms like daggers to kill people. Depending on how demonic culture works, they could be skilled in subterfuge, infiltration, recon, etc. They may also do things like harm people through making a bargain with them that eventually leads to the person's demise. Imps are usually so insignificant in tv shows/games that we could just not bother using them at all though.

I think having more forms of magic is always a great idea though, ya. I'd be curious as to what degree humans can harness Chaos Magic.

After a significant amount of ideas are confirmed I will revise the formatting of the OP extensively for easier reading and so we have a summation of our ideas so far and the content of the world.

Now then, I'm proposing and defining a couple types of magic that are hybridizations of more basic magic and such.

*Enchanting - The practical application of magic to temporarily or permanently imbue magical properties into...pretty much any object or thing. This is a broad mechanic of the world and likely has many sub-categories. Almost all schools of magic have some means of enchanting things. May also be called Artificing. Golemancy is probably part of this. As well as Runecrafting, which is a very basic school. Legendary artifacts of great power were probably enchanted by an Archmage or a powerful Demonic/Divine being at some point. Enchanted equipment may siphon mana from the user to fuel their effects. Or not, up to you guys.

- Runecrafting is usually the art of saving spells in objects for later use. Spend mana now so you don't have to spend it later. It's common for low-level mages to make a living selling scrolls, stones or carved wood to laymen to make life more convenient for the magically-challenged/non-magical folk. All objects sold would have runes etched into them. The medium affects the quality of the spell being used. Wooden runed items are much weaker than a precious metal inscribed with runes. Stones and scrolls have the best cost-to-effectiveness ratio. This goes for mana cost to enchant as well as retail price. Enchantments placed on items via runes are only temporary, their duration and strength governed by the quality of the rune.

*Hextech/Magitek/Magiscience(what the fuck Adventure Quest?) - Normally this refers to technology that does the things magic does, using a magical energy source. At the basic level it should be this way. Haven't seen many things of this category use advanced science alongside magic though. Hell, I have yet to see a good example of this kind of thing in general. It seems to just be a replacement for Enchantment in worlds lacking a very fantastical setting. I would like to see a creative application of this concept though, I think it has potential.

- An idea: The purpose of Hextech equipment is similar to those empowered by Enchantment, but requires less maintenance and action on the part of the user(initially anyway, but this is still rooted in technology, so it could still need to be calibrated/fixed/etc after prolonged use). No using runes, not casting buffs on the weapon, no siphoning of the user's mana, though they could still have negative side-effects on the user. This stuff tends to be extremely powerful, and would be considered military-grade hardware, so access is very restricted. It's probably a stable of modern civilizations that are not focused on magic in the story. For plot-relevance, the bleeding edge technology might draw power from the Void, which might place it in the same vein as Eldritch-empowered stuff. If Eldritch-empowered hextech were a thing, it would naturally be poorly understood and have unpredictable traits. Eldritch equipment in general should bend or outright defy reality's laws, following the theme of mortals messing with shit they don't understand, but want to exploit the usefulness of regardless of the consequences.

*Intent/Belief/Will/Warping - A mechanic of the world. I'm not sure it could be considered magic, more like natural law (and it is subject to it). It refers to people affecting reality by all believing the same thing to be true, the best example is the realization of a god through a religion that grew to be accepted by a significant number of people. On rare occasions, one being has enough influence to alter reality. They don't necessarily have to be powerful, and are more often than not Divine or Demonic in nature. It is impossible to abuse to an absurd extent because if something is too "wrong" (like willing a planet out of existence, or a civilization), the universe will react by normalizing a large-scale anomaly before it has a chance to happen. The natural order and all that. This goes without saying, but Eldritch horrors don't give a fuck about the natural order and can override it.

- I'd also say some legendary, powerful weapons could acquire their abilities through this. A weapon can become legendary through masterful use by its wielder. It would probably already be enchanted in some way, but the feats achieved with the weapon would lead people to exaggerate its strength for effect if they're bards or are telling a story. If this keeps up long enough than a weapon will acquire power through people believing it has power. In all likelihood though, it's more likely the person wielding it would grow in power from people witnessing their skill. If a weapon is passed down from person to person and stands the test of time it would probably acquire power through belief then, since it would have a time-tested legacy.

- The clearest example I can give of this phenomenon if you still don't understand it would be the Archons/Exarchs from Tyranny. They are often normal people who acquired a reputation for being really good at something. Their immense confidence/belief in themselves fed their budding power. More importantly, people would start believing this person had power as they accomplished more and more great feats, which caused the Archon/Exarch in question to passively snowball in power.
Zoprxki
Zoprxki
Host
Host

Back to top Go down

Post by Arcus Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:13 am

The will and belief thing reminds me a lot of the queen of the cats from that one other world arc i fairy tail where everyone believed she was a goddess empress of sorts and had innumerable powers and that even the cats were superior beings, when in reality, all they can do is fly and look adorable. As for magitech, I'd guess maybe drakels would use it to some extent as there were mages and sorcerers intermixed with all the sci-fi stuff the drakels used in the game.
Arcus
Arcus
Captain
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoprxki Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:23 am

Drakel used magiscience as detailed by the AQWiki
Zoprxki
Zoprxki
Host
Host

Back to top Go down

Post by Arcus Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:53 am

Cool cool. I guess we could also use some other varying areas of it as well, since mages and magic is still a thing, so various recreational electronics and bits of tech could use it, like off-grid cell phones... Or just magic cell phones so that cell towers aren't necessary, so Pizza ordering from buttfuck nowhere! Yey!
Arcus
Arcus
Captain
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoprxki Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:03 am

Alright, more lore stuff.

Whatever race gives Makon and Raiya their golden eye trait also gives them (racial) auras which...are invisible except when they are activated, they are briefly perceivable in all their glory. They fade and out in the blink of an eye. Color depends on the person. Makon's is orange, Raiya's is blue ofc. Stronger people have immense, flaming auras, while weaker people just dimly glow. Makon's is in the shape of a flame but does not spring very far from his body. Raiya's fluctuates madly, ranging from being fairly bigger than Makon's to being the size of a large hill when overcharged.

They aren't always supportive in nature. Raiya's creates a localized lightning storm after all. The race that had these inherent abilities was systematically exterminated by an alliance of all other races long ago. Even half-blooded folk like Raiya and Makon were killed just to be safe. When contact lenses and magic made it too easy for them to hide their traits, the race was pretty much forgotten. All information of them is hidden away in high security archives under the control of the dominant religion and military/governments.

The race was mostly faceless and could breed half-blooded offspring with any other humanoid race. Besides the eye color inherited, and their aura, the offspring are normal. Only people who have their blood running through their veins can see the auras. And I suppose people with the right equipment could too, but that kind of gear is extremely rare and usually in the possession of the few obsessed hunters of half-bloods that remain.

What makes their auras special from normal magic auras is that pure-blooded people could pass down their aura traits to other pure-blood offspring. This was additive. The mother and fathers traits would either merge or be two separate abilities for their child to use in addition to a unique one belonging to the child. There was the rare occasion of the child's unique aura trait cancelling out traits that would've been given to them by their parents. The ability to pass along power through the generations like this was what drove the rest of the world to kill them off. It had gotten to the point where the strongest of their race had power that could rival godhood through careful breeding. Power over every element, expertise in every field, it was common for a pureblood to be a polymath. To be clear, half-bloods don't get these nice inheritances.

Scarier still were those who focused on mastering one thing and supplementing it with all the power they inherited from their ancestors. The lost race would eventually fear their own in due time. When the inevitable civil war came around, the alliance of the other nations joined the fray, took the opportunity to take them all down.

Due to their faceless nature they usually would communicate through manipulating their auras. The stronger you were, the more aura you would have to manipulate, allowing you to communicate more effectively with others. Hiding your aura would make you very suspicious/untrustworthy, or at least rude. Manipulating your aura to misrepresent yourself was heavily frowned upon. Their relations with the other races were very rare, and they usually had special translators in their employ, used sign language, or some kind of device to express themselves to other races.

Predictably they were a scholarly culture. They had a high affinity for demons as well, which most found disturbing, but in truth it was misguided more than anything. Demonic visages, symbols, etc, were present in their clothing, furniture, emblems, structures, weapons, armor, everything. For the sake of fashion it is subtle. They weren't cultists. They viewed demons as equivalent to divinity and representative of free expression. Their research on demons always paints them in a reasonably positive light that in the face of recent events makes no sense. Towards the end of their history they became more violent, bloodthirsty and reclusive. It is believed demons had everything to do with that, though some argued that their immense power just corrupted them and planted the seeds of revolt.
Zoprxki
Zoprxki
Host
Host

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum